
Merry Christmas!
We can hardly believe it is that time of year again – and what a lot of changes and happenings we have had! If you’ve already glanced at the photo, you may have noticed our biggest news of the year – our new little daughter Natalie!
Our sweet Natalie Kristina was born in Moscow, Russia on January 9th, 2007. She was brought home to our family on August 28th this year – and we haven’t sat down since! :-) Natalie is a ball of happiness and energy. She is such an amazing little girl – and we have been so incredibly blessed to become her parents and sister and brother. The story of her adoption is in itself quite a miracle, and if you would like to read the whole story (trying to keep the letter to a one (or two) pager :-), see http://loweandbehold.blogspot.com/2009/11/story-n-stuff.html for all the crazy, wonderful, miraculous details! More details on the little lady are found below…..read on for the Lowe family recap of ’09!
Denny…..oh, Denny. What a great guy. Our fearless leader has had quite a year! Not only does he work his tail off for IBM, but he also found time to do some awesome mountain biking with buddies at Palo Duro Canyon and other various Austin locations BEFORE having a major accident and a surgery due to the aforementioned mountain biking. I think he would tell you that most of March, April, May, and June are a bit of a haze. Ever the overachiever – we are proud of Denny for basically ripping his shoulder apart without breaking any bones. Even the doctors don’t understand it! But considering his 36 years with no cavities, we are beginning to think that he has teeth and bones that are made of titanium. In all seriousness – he was really a trooper through it all. Beyond that, Denny has been an amazing husband, father, Ward Mission Leader and was recently called to be in the Bishopric of our Ward. While I miss him terribly during that first hour of church when he is seated on the stand – I know he loves hearing Natalie squawk in the audience, and more than likely enjoys watching me wrestle her and Carter in my quiet, dignified way (ha!). Notice I didn’t group Katie in the wrestle fest…..for good reason!
Katie…..oh, Katie. Our sweet 4th grade, 9 ½ year old angel. Katie has been the most helpful, understanding, comic relieving child this year. We just love her! She has stayed busy with Tae Kwon Do (about to test for her brown belt), being elected to student council at school, and singing in the school choir. She has been teaching herself how to play the piano (no lie), and plans to start dancing again after the first of next year. Katie is queen of comic one liners in our household, and truly wise beyond her years. I personally do not know how we could have handled having an instant toddler in our midst without her help and loving personality. We are so incredibly proud of her! She would probably say that some of her highlights for the year were being able to see so many of her cousins at our family reunions in Utah and Oregon this summer, as well as the visits from our family throughout the year. It was a special time in October when all our family came to Texas for the sealing of Natalie to our family in the San Antonio temple, and I know that it is a special memory for Katie, and….who? Carter, of course!
Carter….Oh, Carter. The Big 5. Five years of energy, love, and profound statements rolled into the cutest blond haired, blue eyed package. Carter has grown into a BOY this year – and while I miss his chubby cheeks, it has certainly been fun to watch him grow up! He loves playing outside with friends, legos, playing outside with friends, playing outside with….oh, did I say that already? I think I should just pitch him a tent outside. He started Tae Kwon Do as well, and played his first year of t-ball and indoor soccer. One of the other highlights of the year has been watching Carter really enjoy dressing himself. He likes to dress “handsome”. Now, we are okay with the fact that it was initiated by a comment made by a little girl in his preschool class, but he has really taken it to a new level! Carter likes to wear suits, ties, blazers, belts, “church shoes”, sweater vests, and has recently been requesting some “re-spenders”. The first thing he does in the morning is get up and get dressed from head to toe in some fabulous creation. It is quite entertaining to see what he will come up with. I’m pretty proud that 99% of the time I don’t have to send him back up to change….but, oh, that 1%. We LOVE our Carter. And Carter has an energy soul twin named…..Natalie!
Natalie….oh, Natalie. Or Nattie. Or Nachito. So many names for our little blond cherub. Natalie has grown and progressed so much since August 28th, it has been amazing to see. She came to us knowing about 3-4 signs (she is deaf), and now knows probably close to 100! She has been in her hearing aids for almost 6 weeks, and can say “mama”, “wa” (for water), and a bunch of other crazy sounds we haven’t heard before. Girlfriend is smart!!! She loves to be outside. Remember how I said I should pitch a tent for Carter? Well, Natalie would just plain sleep under the stars. Going outside is the first thing she wants to do in the morning (after eating a cheese stick), and she would literally stay out all day if we let her. She takes us on long marches all around the neighborhood, waves to everyone we see, looks at the dogs, and tries to visit everyone by knocking on their front doors. Everywhere we go she has people wrapped around her little finger! She loves to jump on the trampoline, and play any kind of physical game….wrestling, high flying acrobatics, feats of gymnastic skill – you name it. She is a complete mimic, and we really have to watch what we do because she will immediately do exactly what we are doing. It has really brought the whole “be a good example” lecture to a new level at our house. We are so very grateful that the Lord saw fit to bless us with such a special daughter. Since I am the mother of that special daughter, I guess it’s my turn.
Tracey…..oh, Tracey. Will you ever fix your hair again? Remember when you could go to the bathroom alone? These and so many more questions are quite a representation of my life for the last few months. I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world!! I feel like the luckiest woman alive to have such a wonderful husband, beautiful, healthy children, loving family, and kind friends. I have learned some invaluable lessons this year, and I find that I have become more joyful, more grateful, and more reliant on my Heavenly Father. What more is there really to say? Life is good – and it’s because of wonderful friends and family like you that it keeps getting better.
We hope your families are well and happy, and that you are finding all the blessings you can handle. We wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and hope that your 2010 is full of new adventures and lots of happiness.
Love,
Denny, Tracey, Katie (9), Carter (5), and Natalie (almost 3!) Lowe
love it! 're-spenders' and all!
ReplyDeleteWe loved reading about your family and what an awesome year it's been for you! Your family made such an impact on Mac and I while we were in Texas! So many times when we are talking about our goals for our family we think of you guys and what a fun, spiritual, and just awesome family you have! Mac loved Denny's passion for missionary work and I just loved hanging out and serving in callings with Tracey (lots of laughing)! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeletewhat a year!
ReplyDelete