Sure has been a little while, huh? All kind of things happening in our world in the last several months - but I think it's finally time to get back on the bandwagon and share with Natalie's adoring fans (aka Grandma and Grandpa:)).
As you can see - Natalie just continues to be more and more adorable...
And yes, that is a dog! Meet Hope, our sweet little yorkie poo. We are happy she has survived since coming home in October - it's been touch and go, believe you me! Natalie reeeaaallly loves Hope (a la 'Of Mice and Men' style...soft bunny, soft...), and has given us a run for our money. I think we are over the worst of it, and frankly - I love that little dog and can't give her up. Therefore, I just give her places to hide.
We finally had a new family picture taken....
It was quite an adventure! Mucho thanks to Katie Evans for her quick snapping skills as we chased Natalie around downtown Round Rock trying to get us all in a pic. The photo above was a 'sneak up from behind' tactic that I think worked out pretty darn well!
Ok, ok....here's a few more for ya....
I know....adorable, right?? Love, love, love my family and all three of my beautiful kids. I am so lucky!
And so by now you are wondering what I meant by another journey ahead (don't worry if you missed the teaser title of this blog post, I always get distracted by pictures, too). And so the big news is...
NATALIE IS GETTING HER FIRST COCHLEAR IMPLANT!!!
Many have asked in the past if this was the plan - and the answer was kind of yes and no. Yes, if she needed it, and no, because she didn't need it until now. She has continued to lose hearing in her left ear, enough that the hearing aids are no longer effective for speech development. Her right ear is still hanging in there for now - but will likely be implanted as well at some point in the future. Why are we not doing both at once? Because it is best to preserve as much 'natural' hearing as possible, and amplification with the hearing aid is still giving her enough benefit. Don't know when the second implant will become necessary, but it is common (as we have come to learn) that most hearing loss does in fact get progressively worse - and bless her heart, it didn't start out so great in the first place!
Surgery is scheduled for April 20th. We would appreciate any prayers on her behalf for a successful surgery and a speedy adjustment process. What we understand from others who have undergone implantation, is that at first - the sounds she 'hears' through her implant will start as sounding like scratches/beeps, then go to a Darth Vader/cartoonish sound, to finally sounding 'normal'. It will take time and continued therapy, but I have every ounce of faith and confidence that this will be the means to Natalie being able to verbalize and speak (in a way understandable to not just me)....and heaven knows, the girl has a lot to say! Thank you in advance for any prayers!!
Hearing challenges aside - Natalie is learning, 'saying' lots of words and phrases, and signing like a maniac! I love, love, love to have little chats with her. She is so smart and has such a great memory. She loves to talk about every person she has met, is constantly asking people's names (running out of sign name ideas over here!), and has the cutest way of rolling her eyes to the ceiling and tapping you on your arm before she begins any new sentence or topic. She loves to joke around - and one of her favorite things to do is say/sign, "Natalie is a....boy!" and then giggle and say/sign, "Nooooo! Natalie is a girl!". She goes through the whole family and all her acquaintances this way, doing a few right, and then trying to trip me up by calling someone the opposite gender. I don't know why this is still so entertaining for her, but hey - it's cheap thrills!:)
I'm going to do my best to document some before and after footage, implantation progress, etc... and in general be a better blogger.
Let me just say to all of my family and friends (and I know Denny feels the same) that we are so blessed to have you all in our lives. We feel daily like the Lord has blessed us with our beautiful Natalie, and we will forever be grateful for the people and circumstances that brought her home. She is a joy! Big hugs and kisses out to Katie and Carter - who I think are the best big brother and sister in the world.
How lucky am I?:)









great family pictures! You have the cutest family ever.
ReplyDeleteThat's so good to hear! I love reading your updates! You have a beautiful family, and you are a wonderful mother to all of your kiddos. Many prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery Natalie. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat update! I have a cousin that has a cochlear implant (has had it since he was about Natalie's age) and is now a Junior (honor student) at University of Alabama (Roll Tide) studying law. He is incredibly intelligent and speaks no differently than anyone else would (meaning, you would never know that he has ever had a hearing defecit). I think the cochlear is going to be awesome for Natalie!! Please do update more often....Love the pictures. She is growing into such a beautiful little girl!
ReplyDelete