Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tender Mercies (Denny)

I wanted to write just some of the "tender mercies" that we experienced. I'm going to preface this with words about tender mercies from Elder David A. Bednar, an Apostle in our church, he said;

“The Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ.”

“…the Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence.”

“I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and that the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us.”

For more visit http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=0a838fbe352fe010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Some of our Tender Mercies

We had planned to name our 1st daughter Natalie until the day she was born, and then we decided to name her Katherine “Katie”. Natalie was named Natalie so we kept the name.

We decided to not build our custom home on land that we had purchased and painstakenly divided. Instead we bought a new home in a new neighborhood. We felt impressed that the new neighborhood would be better for our young children. We were moving to prepare for a larger family.

We had a family goal to know the names of our neighbors, so we became social and created a neighborhood directory. Our neighborhood held supper parties. We attended one across the street and we left early and met Ann outside. Ann later told us that was the only supper party than Ann has ever attended. "Aunt Ann" contacted us about Natalie.

After attending the Temple in San Antonio, Tracey and I bought dresses for our niece since her family was visiting and considering moving to Austin. Tracey had also purchased extra wide Stride Rite shoes for our niece, they forgot to take the dresses and shoes with them. When Natalie came to our house she had no shoes, and she has extra wide feet so we had a pair, she also dresses.

The last time we attended the Temple in San Antonio before knowing about Natalie, they had translation in sign language. This was the only time in all our life of attending the Temple that we have seen sign language translation in the Temple.

I was impressed to call a former work associate regarding their Russian adoption. Our situation was unique, so I thought to myself - Why would I call him? I told him the situation and later his wife referred me to an attorney. I had already hired an attorney, but she was taking me down a different direction. My friend’s attorney was perfect. We spoke 4 hours before the caregivers of Natalie came to our home. She emailed me the required documents to be signed and notarized.

The notary we used lives down the street from "Aunt Tracy", close friend of Aunt Ann (see previous post). They had friends over playing cards so we had the required two witnesses. They are also professional photographers so they took pictures.

The lady at Methodist Mission Home in San Antonio, who did the Home Study for the first caregivers, asked how I selected our attorney, I told her about my former work associate and she was surprised for a few reasons 1. she was going to call the same attorney for advice 2. She went to college with my former work associate, which helped establish trust when it was needed.

One of Tracey’s closest friends (built on the land we bought together) was assigned to work in our church's nursery a few weeks before knew about Natalie. This friend knows sign language. Since she does not have nursery age children she feels God called her to be there for Natalie.

We had two Signing Time DVDs that my Mom and Dad gave us 5 years ago. My wife and I watched them with Natalie the first morning we were together.

The San Antonio connection: The first caregivers, LDS Family Services, Attorney, and Methodist Mission Home are all in San Antonio. This was a "comfortable distance" for all involved.

I think a few families made favorable impressions on Ann and Tracy. Near Ann lives a family that attends our church. Ann’s husband works with a member of our church and Tracy’s husband drives to work every day with that same member. These impressions I think contributed to Ann and Tracy writing letters of support of us (at an important time) to Natalie's caregivers.

After we adopted Natalie, we found out that the most ideal school, some say in the entire state, for her to attend is in our school district. When we visited the school two of our friends were there, one as a substitute teacher, the other as a teacher. We did not know they taught there. The adult sign language class is taught by one of those friends too.

A few years ago, around the time that Natalie was born, Tracey told me, "I want to learn sign language" she contacted one of our friends who is a sign language translator.

Ann later told us, “You’re going to think that I’m nuts…when I met Natalie you guys came into my mind, God spoke to me. I could not get home fast enough to contact you”

These are some of the tender mercies that we experiences. They were individualized blessings, that gave us strength, assurances, guidance, consolation, and support. We don't think or feel that these events (and others) happened randomly or merely by coincidence.

Our Heavenly Father loves His children.

3 comments:

  1. God works for our good when we let Him. His mercy and grace go beyond words and it is awe-inspiring when we take those moments to remember all those moments and His tender mercies, indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. elliott is calling out kittie and na-lee... we had to watch this clip 3 times for him... we miss you!

    ReplyDelete